Monday, June 18, 2007

Family History

While doing my family history homework which seems so pointless to me, I was watching tv. Suddenly, there was a Celtic dance number on. I love it. Celtic music takes me somewhere that other music can't- like back to my roots. My dad and I can listen to it and just cry because the spirit of the music is so strong. I feel my heritage closer and closer to me, enriching me.

My mom hates it. She can take about a minute of it before she makes me change it. I can tell my mother's side is not Irish. So far, only one Irish person has been found on my dad's side. But I know there are more! Somehow, I can't quite explain it, I know that the reason why I'm in the family history major is to find them. Yes, I picked my major at random because I needed a new major and it was 45 credits. But I feel like I was led to it. Doing Nauvoo and becoming aware of our ancestors makes me want to find them even more.

We are who our ancestors were. I really believe that. That Celtic spirit is in me and my dad, but not my mom. I believe that as we get to know where we came from, we'll understand ourselves much more. There can be no future without the past!

1 comment:

meagan said...

I love, love, LOVE family history! When you are done, I want you to teach me all your secrets!