Friday, August 20, 2010

Wisdom from Dumbledore

While watching Harry Potter tonight with my dad, I thought about how perfectly this dang movie is cast! Everyone is perfect. I LOVE the first Harry Potter. It's so magical and new, I just can't get enough of it. And I love John Williams. Could anyone have made a more perfect score for such a magical movie? I don't think so. The themes are perfection. Also, I am reminded of the wisdom of Albus Dumbledore. The books have many more tidbits, of course, but here are some that I love.

"It does not do to dwell on dreams, Harry, and forget to live."

I think we sometimes get so caught up in the future, or dwelling on the past that we forget right now. We forget to be here, right now, wherever we are. We forget to be grateful for all that we have right now. I am so grateful for my wonderful husband. He is more wonderful than anything I could have dreamed up for myself. I am grateful for my family, who constantly support us, and never make us feel stupid when we have to borrow money and are always willing to help us out with errands, puppy sitting, or whatever may come up. My parents are extremely generous to us in every way. And I'm grateful for my little puppy, who brings me such peace and happiness every day with just a wag of her tail, or when she jumps on my lap and curls up, letting me know that she loves me. I'm grateful for old friends and new, who constantly help me to be brave and open and teach me how to be better.

"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends."

I've been learning lately that it is extremely important to stand up for what you know is right. I need to be a good example to myself and never be afraid to stand up when there is a problem. It's kind of hard to be the best we can be, and follow everything that the prophets say, but it is important. The Church is true. It's easy to get caught up in the small things, or very large problems and obstacles. But it's true. It's worth it. It's easy to become lax, to fall away little by little. Don't let it happen. We need to be humble enough to see the faults in ourselves without getting offended or prideful. It's hard to change. But it's even harder to be unhappy day after day. Do what is right- God will protect you.

4 comments:

Katie said...

Wow, Dumbledore really is so wise. :) I love your blog posts. And I think you're the only other person I've ever met that is as obsessed with her dog as I am... maybe that's why we get along so well. ;) I was SO happy to see you yesterday, even if it was only a minute or two. Love you lots!!

Lindsey said...

Wonderful post! Thanks for the uplifting thoughts! = )

The Acting Musician said...

To put it simply--you are amazing.

DeeAura said...

Melinda, I LOVE you. :) Thanks for this!