Saturday, June 26, 2010

Austen Mania!

I have never been an over the top Jane Austen fan. I've never read one of her books, but I've seen the 6 hour long Pride and Prejudice, the awful Kiera Knightly version, Sense and Sensibility, and Emma, which is one of my favorite movies ever. I'm a fan, but wouldn't consider myself a "Jane-ite." What has happened to me lately?

It all started with Lost in Austen. This mini-series captivated me. Modern girl gets stuck in Pride and Prejudice. Sounds silly. It's not. After watching it instantly on Netflix, (the best thing in the world) I was hooked. I watched a behind the scenes, and searched for anything I could find on it. And Elliott Cowan is a SERIOUSLY hot Mr. Darcy. I watched the ending about 12 times. Take three hours and watch it. It's so dreamy.

Then I picked up this little book, along with two others, at Borders last week. I hadn't read a novel in a long time, and I was so excited to have a fresh, brand new book in my hands. (I even got it for free, thanks to a gift card from my aunt and uncle!) Well, I remember why I haven't read a book for so long. School. When I open a book, I get captivated and fall under a spell. I don't want to do anything else but bask in the world the book has created. Everything else goes out the window- homework, dishes, laundry, etc. It's bad. This is a fun, easy read that I highly recommend. But again, it's modern girl goes to fictional Austen-based theme park, I guess you would say. I must really have a hankering for the past these days.

After finishing Austenland, last night, Alex and I watched Sense and Sensibility.

I hadn't seen it since I was young, and frankly thought it was a little slow, but I was in this Austen-y mood, and Alex had never seen it. What a gorgeous movie! I appreciated it so much more now that I'm not 10. If you haven't watched it lately, do it. It is so beautiful. It's a shame that all movies can't be just like this one. I don't know why it's not more popular than Pride and Prejudice, frankly. I absolutely loved it, and Alex did, too, enough to say that we should own it!

I don't know what has gotten into me, but I'm not sure if this mood will ever lift. The only thing I can say is that I am so grateful to have my own perfect man. Alex is everything I could ever want. It is so nice to read these books and watch these movies, and not want for anything in my own relationship. If Edward from Twilight (the books, not the movie, and there IS a big difference) and Mr. Darcy have done nothing else for the world, I hope they make girls want to be treated well. You don't have to settle, my friends. And you don't have to rush. Just enjoy the journey, and your Colonel Brandon will come, and he'll be everything you've been praying for. (Try not to fall for the Willoughby's of the world. I have. It doesn't end pretty.)

1 comment:

Sarah Shelley said...

What a delightful post. I totally agree. Stewart and I own Sense & Sensibility and we love it. I have read some of Shannon Hale's other books but have not read that one yet. I will have to check it out. :)