Friday, January 1, 2010

Success

I've been thinking a lot today about success and happiness. I'm looking at my class schedule for the next year and wondering if I should try to do NY Showcase or not. They've started asking people to only do Showcase if they are planning on moving to New York. So... am I planning on moving to New York? I have no idea. Am I just scared to try? I don't know. My dream job is working for Music and Cultural Arts for the Church. Whenever I'm working for the Church I feel completely satisfied with my life and talent and completely happy. I don't really know what to do. I think to move to New York I'd have to give it at least 5 years. I don't know that I want to wait that long to work for the Church. And I don't feel like I need Broadway to feel successful at all. What to do?! Life decisions are hard! Alex feels like NY would be great for me. But if the Church is my ultimate goal, why wait? Hmm....

3 comments:

Katie said...

Interesting thoughts... and even more interesting because Chris and I were just discussing this very thing the other night... although we were looking back and wondering if we should have done things differently. Our conclusion? We don't know. In some ways we really wish we had done it right out of college and given it 5 years (interesting you used the exact same number) BUT we also wonder where we would be had we been in such a harsh environment for so long. We decided that while it would have been awesome to give it a go and had fun for a few years before we had kids and settled down... wouldn't trade where we are now for anything. And who knows where we would be if we had taken another path. My advise... go with the church cultural arts as it seems to be where your heart truly wants to be. Could you make it on Broadway? Maybe. But it doesn't seem to be important to you and the risks involved seem high.

Sarah Shelley said...

Here I am listening to a voice lesson I had 10 years ago with your mom, and I read your post. I know that you are amazingly talented. I always thought that I would eventually end up in New York or somewhere else performing. However, as I have matured my prioritites have changed and, surprisingly, my passions. I still love to perform but I am very passionate about being a mother and wife. So, if your passion is to work for the church, that is what you should do. If you really have a passion for going to and performing in New York, that is what you should do. Anyway, that's my random 2-cents. It is truly a difficult decision, especially when you are as talented as you are. Best of luck! I look forward to hearing the outcome!

The Boothes said...

Well, as if I have any right to give my two cents... However you know that you are talented enough for New York so the question is could I it's should I? and that is all in the timing. Listen to your heart! I sure love you!