Thursday, September 4, 2008

It's been a while...

I don't really know where to start. I am just about the most awful blogger/journal writer ever. I'm sitting here in St. George, UT while Alex, the perfect husband, is working. We are down doing the shows at Tuacahn this summer. I could complain for days about everything that's happening here, and I'm sad to say that I have been. I didn't realize how hard it would be down here. I am trying not to judge. Alex and I have questioned everything except for the Church and each other while being here. It's too hot to go outside, and we just stay at home most of the day. What is it about summerstock that is just so hard? I keep hearing that it's not like regular theater, but I have to think that to some extent, it is. If this is what I was doing for my profession, I would be in 'summerstock' all year round. I would be in a different place with nothing to really do but the show. The people I would be with all the time would be the people in the shows. I don't know. It doesn't sound like any life that I want.
I said that I was trying not to judge. I know that I have very high standards for myself. It isn't a problem that those who believe and have been raised differently from me are swearing or being crude. The hardest thing for me is to watch those that I am fairly sure know better, doing those same things. Why is still cool for some people to swear? When did that happen? Where was I? When did church become an optional activity? When did simple callings become too hard to fit in to our schedules? And why do those few people who have the courage to say how they feel about those things become the subjects of scorn, ridicule, and backbiting? Is it just the summerstock environment that makes these things happen? Or is it just so easy to forget? I may very well have been raised differently than others, but not going to church because you don't feel like it or are too tired just isn't right. I am not saying that I am perfect. Far from it. It is extremely hard to get home from a show at 12:30 and have to wind down for at least an hour, but more likely two hours, then trying to get a good night's sleep so you don't get sick, and getting up earlier than you'd like or need just to go to church? I'm not perfect at going to church, but I'm trying. But enough complaining!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Oh, how I know how you feel. :-)